Thursday, October 12, 2023

NAPTIP: An Average of 1,085 People Are Rescued From Trafficking

Top Articles

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Kano state zonal command has rescued an average of 1,085 people from being trafficked from January to July of this year.

NAPTIP: An Average of 1,085 People Are Rescued From Trafficking/image//Punch

Modern slavery has seen many people shift from their native homes to foreign countries for hard labour or organ transplantation.

While addressing the newsmen, the zone Public Relations Officer, Mr.Aliyu Kalli disclosed that many of the victims who were illegally moved from Nigeria to foreign countries have been retrieved and handed to responsible agencies.

He also disclosed that of the total number, only 20% are female, and the rest of the 80% are females.

As reported via Punch newspaper, Mr.Aliyu Kalli said “said the 1,085 victims are a combination of 932 victims of irregular migration, who were repatriated and handed over to the agency through the International Organisation for Migration in collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency of Nigeria.

He added that the Zonal Command in the period under review also rescued 163 victims of human trafficking on their way to the Niger Republic and Libya, en route to European countries.

The PRO also noted that many of the victims were rescued in Libya, Niger Republic and other foreign countries.

He also noted that the agency in his attempt to tackle human trafficking has inaugurated an Anti-Human Trafficking in six Colleges, including schools from Jigawa, Kano and Bauchi state respectively.

He also recognised the effort of other security agencies, religious leaders and the Kano State government for their extensive support.

Read also: